Itinerary: Friday, September 24:
• Location: Black Rock Country Club, Hingham, MA.
• Event Sponsors:
– Greg Murphy ’86, member-host
– John Arnold ’86 and Steve Ashekian ’83 coordinated
teams, start times, format, prizes, giveaways, etc.
• Tee-times were scheduled from 10am through 1:30pm, and players began arriving around 9am. The weather was perfect and those that played got to enjoy a special new course in just its third year of operation. Built on the site of an old quarry, the Black Rock course offered unique challenges, striking views, and fantastic playing conditions. The clubhouse facilities are top notch and the service was terrific. 42 BURC Alumni were paired with Black Rock Members, and Murph did a great job lining up guys that would meld well with our group. Chris ‘Doc’ Troyanos helped the effort by running a 50/50 challenge on the 15th hole and taking photos of all teams that came through. The format was a Bramble so teams played their own ball in from the best drive of the group, and the top two scores were counted for each team. Injuries were kept to a minimum and whining was fairly extensive, but we survived and as far as we know, Murph hasn’t lost his membership yet. Food and beer was provided at the end of the round and it was dark before the last crew left the course around 7:30pm.
• Location: Lewis’s II, Norwood Center
• Event Sponsor: Steve Libbey ’83
• At 7:00pm the back room was set up for us with hot food and cold beer. Golfers, non-golfers, those that couldn’t take the day off, and those who were just flying in met at Lewis’s and reunited again. Cash awards for the three winning golf teams were presented – And subsequently donated back to the Effort! Team #1: Ken Jasper ’82, Chris Williams ’82, Ken Romanzi ’82, Team #2: Steve Ashekian ’83, John Arnold ’86, Steve Libbey ’80’s, Team #3: Bill Anderson ’83, Dave Mackay ’83, Greg Murphy ‘86, Mark Torrisi ‘89. Longest Drive went to Murph’s Brother Sean, and Closest to the Pin went to Jim Belli ’81. Both awards were also donated back to the cause since both players were not at Lewis’s II as per the rules! Thanks guys! Lastly, the 50/50 award was selected from tickets granted to players who paid their $10 in advance and got closer to the hole than Doc on the Par 3, 15th. The first ticket selected went unclaimed. The second ticket selected went to Steve Ashekian ’83, and Steve had another decision to make with the $260 prize – to keep or donate to the cause – so he did what any self-respecting Rugger would do. He opened a tab at the bar for all to enjoy.
Saturday, September 25th At the Harrington Pitch:
• The Charlie Harrington Memorial Pitch was in full glory for the matches on Saturday. The school put up signs welcoming Alumni to the Anniversary Weekend, and balloons circled the pitch on the stakes that lined the field.
The pitch was in great shape and everyone enjoyed a beautiful sunny day while we watched Babson Women’s Rugby completely dominate the Bentley Women’s team at every aspect of the game.
At the end of the match, food and sodas were served under the tent and brief statements were made to acknowledge the Anniversary Weekend by Athletic Director, Frank Millerick, Alumnus Ken Jasper, Women’s President and Captain, Lauren Zopatti, and Men’s President and Captain, Adam Mavrikos. The tent also provided cover for the Babson Rugby history display assembled by Rob Scheschareg ’90.
As the Men’s game got underway, the student body continued to file down to the pitch and alumni began gathering in increasing numbers. The sideline was full and the ensuing reunion was a fantastic backdrop to the battle on the field that produced a hard fought but dominant victory by BURC against a competitive St. Michael’s team. BURC emerged victorious on both A and B sides to honor returning Alumni with their efforts.
Hall of Fame Banquet
• Location: Knight Auditorium
• Banquet Emcee: Ken Jasper ‘82
• The highlight of the weekend was the Banquet Dinner and Hall of Fame Inductions at Knight Auditorium. Sporting business-casual and evening attire, 80+ Alumni and guests joined with 35 BURC Men and 20 Women’s Ruggers to celebrate the 25th Anniversary in style.
The Banquet began with registration, a cocktail hour and commemorative mini-rugby balls to the first 110 registrants. With our history display set up on one side of the hall, and the buffet set up on the other, attendees socialized to DJ music while a slide show commemorating the 25-year history played on a large screen on stage. At 7:00 we gathered for group photos and then dinner was served. At 8:00, the formal program began with a presentation by Ken Jasper. BURC’s history and success were acknowledged, along with the formation of RAAC and the alumni donations that have sponsored the Rugby Funds at Babson thus far.
The Following Individuals Were Inducted into BURC’s Inaugural Hall of Fame Class:
• Tim DeMello ‘81
• Jerry Hanafin ‘81
• Dave Mackay ‘83
• Julio Guemes ‘84
• Dave Cederlund ‘86
• John Walsh ‘89
• Lee Nicholson ‘95
• Professor John McKenzie (surprise presentation)
In addition to the individuals above, the BURC Team of 1979-80 was inducted into the Hall of Fame for their initiative and strength in building an enduring legacy. The BURC Team of 1985-86 as also inducted in the Hall of Fame for their undefeated season against all Division I opponents. Their achievement is a testimony to their skill, determination and high aspirations, as they sought to distinguish BURC as a rugby powerhouse in the Northeast.
A final presentation went to Chris ‘Doc’ Troyanos in the form of an appreciation plaque for his 25-year support of BURC. Doc was also presented with the BURC Hall of Fame Plaque that displays all inductees and provides ample room for further addition as RAAC and BURC induct others in the coming years. Doc stated his plans to dedicate one of the trophy cases at the gymnasium to BURC, and will prominently display the Hall of Fame Plaque in that case along with other awards and photos.
Weekend Coordinator: Ken Jasper ’82 Anniversary
Asst. Weekend Coordinator: Steve Ashekian ’83 Golf Event, RAAC Memorabilia
Asst. Weekend Coordinator: John Arnold ’86 Golf Event
Greg Murphy ’86 Golf Event
Matt Evans ‘99 Correspondence Coordinator, Database, Emails, Banquet Program
Nick Graeve ‘01 Paypal & Accounting Coordinator
Karni Baghdikian ‘99 Website Hosting & Communications, Anniversary Logo
Rob Scheschareg ’90 BURC History Display
Steve Libbey ’83 Friday Evening Social
Jon Kizner ’91 Banquet Registration & General Support
Joe Kerwin ‘83
Nick Hathaway ’84
Steve Drew ‘86
Professor John McKenzie Faculty Advisor and BURC Constant
Chris ‘Doc Troyanos Athletic Development, Weekend Photography
Frank Millerick Athletic Director
Diana Zais Alumni Relations & Fundraising
Many thanks are also extended to Media Services for signage, printing and AV support at the field and auditorium, Sodexo Food Services for service at the field and Knight Auditorium, Public Safety throughout the weekend, the Executive Support Center for holding a block of rooms for returning alumni, and to College President, Brian Barefoot and his administration for supporting our reunion throughout the campus that weekend.